The SES 5.6 Disc is optimized aerodynamically and structurally for disc use. Road cyclists and triathletes on disc brake bikes will benefit from the SES 5.6 Disc’s reduced drag, lightweight design, and rim shape optimized for larger volume road tires.
Most “disc brake” wheelsets are simply repurposed rim brake wheels with disc hubs. The elimination of a braking surface opens up the realm of aerodynamic and structural possibilities. When you don’t have to engineer a flat braking surface and manage high temperatures from braking, you can reduce the rim’s weight, adjust shape for improved aerodynamics and provide better tubeless performance.
Tubeless Kit (Clincher Only):
- 2x valve stems
- 1x roll of tape (good for taping 3 wheels)
- 2x Pressure Relief Valve Stem Nuts
- Valve Extenders (45mm set)
- Skewers 100/135mm (QR only)
- Accessory Bag
- Wheel Manual
- Wheelbuild Card
ENVE SES 2.2, 3.4, 5.6, 7.8, 3.4 Disc, 5.6 Disc, 7.8 Disc, SES Rear Disc Wheel
– There are no limitations on tire compatibility with these wheel models. Your ENVE SES wheels may be set up and run with inner-tubes and non-tubeless tires or tubeless (TL) and tubeless ready (TLR) tires alike. We recommend the use of a Tubeless (TL) or Tubeless Ready (TLR) 700x25c tire set up tubeless to maximize aerodynamics, rolling resistance, crosswind stability, and your ride experience. Non-Tubeless Setup (i.e. I want to run inner-tubes)
– Each ENVE SES wheelset is delivered with one roll of RED
, model specific, ENVE tested and approved tubeless rim tape. This tape should be installed regardless of whether you intend to run your wheels tubeless or not. Do not run cloth or plastic (including ENVE) non-tubeless compatible rim tape or strips. Plastic rim strips and cloth tapes are too thick, bridge the drop-center rim channel, and will make installation and removal of tires extremely difficult. Click here
for our tubeless tape installation video. Cotton and/or Natural Fiber Sidewall Tires
– ENVE does NOT RECOMMEND the use of cotton or natural fiber sidewall non-tubeless tires with ENVE SES wheelsets for EVERYDAY USE.
These tires are intended for high-performance racing applications only. If you choose to run these tires, please inspect your tires after each ride for cuts, tears, and any signs of abrasion and/or wear in the sidewall and at the location of the rim/tire interface. If any wear and/or damage is identified, replace before riding. Riders who choose to run tires with cotton or natural fiber sidewalls do so at their own risk.
Disc brake technology offers improved braking performance for amateur and professional road cyclists alike. Carbon fiber braking surfaces are a major design constraint that limits weight savings and rim design. By removing the constraints of a braking surface, we can completely rethink the shape of the rim. The SES 5.6 Disc features patented SES rim curvature but has been further optimized for disc brakes. Additionally, the SES 5.6 Disc carbon fiber clinchers and tubulars are very lightweight because the material used for heat management can been eliminated. This allows for a more structurally efficient and impact resistant rim. Finally, the SES 5.6 Disc carbon clincher is road tubeless compatible and can still be run with standard inner tubes and tires. Like the current generation SES carbon clinchers and tubulars, the 5.6 Disc has been aerodynamically optimized around 25mm tires.